Music ministry interview
I was recently interviewed about church music ministry by my friend, Mark Martin, who is also involved in church music ministry. For both of us, it was our first attempt doing this sort of thing with Skype, but we had fun talking about things that music directors like to discuss.
Here are the topics we discussed:
- My approach to a music ministry kickoff.
- What got me started arranging piano music.
- What are some keys to having a growing committed orchestra ministry.
- Ideas for writing for an orchestra.
- A notation software feature that will help you if you don’t know an instrument’s range.
- Whether you need to be a theory geek to be able to write music.
- How long it takes me to write a piano arrangement.
- My answer to the question, “What action can we take to lead church music with skill and authenticity?”
Also, you should know, Mark has recently begun selling sheet music on his website, and he also has a free piano arrangement that you’ll want to get! His arrangement of “My Jesus, I Love Thee” is worth checking out, too.
James Koerts serves as the worship pastor of Mikado Baptist Church in Macon, Georgia. In addition to his full time responsibilities at the church, James is also a published composer and arranger.