This course includes two hours of instruction and a study guide with classwork and examples. Modulations are not difficult if you know a few basic formulas. You will learn four simple formulas and one advanced strategy for modulations.
A study guide with illustrations is included.
What you will learn in this course:
- The universal formula for modulations that works between any two keys.
- A simple modulation to go up a half step.
- A modulation for moving down a fifth.
- A modulation that requires no theory knowledge at all.
- A strategy for more sophisticated modulations based on the concept of pivot chords.
- How to make modulations work within the context of the song.
- How modulations can help “shape” a song.
We suggest that you know the following to be able to understand this course:
- How to read music (general basics such as naming notes, counting, key signatures, etc.).
- Basic theory. You need to know how to play a major scale. Ideally, you can build simple chords such as major and minor triads. If you need help in this area, consider purchasing Theory for Church Pianists.
- How to identify chords and chart a song. You should be able to work through a typical song in the hymnal and write in the chords you see. If you need help in this area, consider purchasing the course How to Chart a Song.